So we are officially starting the potty training attempt today.. I am open to any suggestions, tips, advice, etc!! I am ALL EARS!! Really, I know nothing and I have read nothing, so anything will help!!
I do not claim to be an expert on potty training, and openly admit that it is my least favorite part of parenting. I am sooo far away from potty training Trevor, who is only a few months younger than Cy. So you are AMAZING! But, I have read about it and discussed it at length through my job as a school psychologist. The big areas:
1) Rediness: can the kid pull pants up by himself? Is he interested? Can he tell you he needs to go? If not, wait some more time. Some kids can potty train successfully before age three, but developmentally some cannot.
2) Reinforcement system: Include some type of chart/point system/whatever-you-like to reinforce the attempt of going or successful going. Depending on the kid, you'll want to reinforce the behavior you'd like to see more of. So maybe for your child it is just trying, or maybe it is actually going in the potty. Make sure to pair the tangible reinforcement with social reinforcement--call grandma, high fives, etc.
3) What to wear: this is the most debatable by people--should the child wear a pull-up or not? Some people like the pull-up because they get to avoid cleaning up the mess, while others think you should go straight to the underwear so that the child can't rely on the pull-up when they don't feel like going or when they are scared. My vote is to go straight to the underwear day and night so that you only have to train once. If the child is truly "ready" this works well. If they are still a little young, but you're anxious about starting, a pull-up is nice.
Anyway, sorry to ramble. Just my thoughts....AND GOOD LUCK!! Cy is an amazing kid and I have no doubts that he'll pick this up quickly!
YAY it's about time!! my kids did it in 2 days!! SO here is what you do NO PULL UPS!!!!!! they are just like diapers, Do let him feel the mess and knowing Cy he will hate it and will want to go in the potty. Even at night, sorry but he will have to be in him own bed unless you want a messy bed, my boys only messed the bed once, then they were one with it..... lets hope Cy is the same way:) You have to put him on the potty ever 20 min without fail, even if he doesn't want to this will teach him Consistency and remind him to awlays think if needs to go! He is a smart kid, he will get the hand of it really quick. you will be SO happy you did it especially before the new baby, you DONT want 2 kids in diapers!! WAY TO GO CY WHAT A BIG BOY!!
If he is ready it will be as easy as Tasha says. All of my kids have been different ages when they were finally interested and ready. If they are not ready it will be frustrating for you and them and might delay the process even longer.
You HAVE to get the book "Potty training in a day" by Nathan Azrin. It's the best system and has made potty training a total blast in our house. (or you could call me and I'll tell you the whole system)
I don't really have advice, O was just ready...so it helped! I took the diapers completely away though, there was no option! I'm sure I did wrong things too...but 8 months now she's been potty trained...so it's the best! No diapers!!! Good luck!
Great advice from everyone! I'm going to use it for Stella - we are getting ready to start traning too! I'm not looking forward to the training part - but i'm really excited to be done with diapers!
8 comments:
I do not claim to be an expert on potty training, and openly admit that it is my least favorite part of parenting. I am sooo far away from potty training Trevor, who is only a few months younger than Cy. So you are AMAZING! But, I have read about it and discussed it at length through my job as a school psychologist. The big areas:
1) Rediness: can the kid pull pants up by himself? Is he interested? Can he tell you he needs to go? If not, wait some more time. Some kids can potty train successfully before age three, but developmentally some cannot.
2) Reinforcement system: Include some type of chart/point system/whatever-you-like to reinforce the attempt of going or successful going. Depending on the kid, you'll want to reinforce the behavior you'd like to see more of. So maybe for your child it is just trying, or maybe it is actually going in the potty. Make sure to pair the tangible reinforcement with social reinforcement--call grandma, high fives, etc.
3) What to wear: this is the most debatable by people--should the child wear a pull-up or not? Some people like the pull-up because they get to avoid cleaning up the mess, while others think you should go straight to the underwear so that the child can't rely on the pull-up when they don't feel like going or when they are scared. My vote is to go straight to the underwear day and night so that you only have to train once. If the child is truly "ready" this works well. If they are still a little young, but you're anxious about starting, a pull-up is nice.
Anyway, sorry to ramble. Just my thoughts....AND GOOD LUCK!! Cy is an amazing kid and I have no doubts that he'll pick this up quickly!
YAY it's about time!! my kids did it in 2 days!! SO here is what you do NO PULL UPS!!!!!! they are just like diapers, Do let him feel the mess and knowing Cy he will hate it and will want to go in the potty. Even at night, sorry but he will have to be in him own bed unless you want a messy bed, my boys only messed the bed once, then they were one with it..... lets hope Cy is the same way:) You have to put him on the potty ever 20 min without fail, even if he doesn't want to this will teach him Consistency and remind him to awlays think if needs to go! He is a smart kid, he will get the hand of it really quick. you will be SO happy you did it especially before the new baby, you DONT want 2 kids in diapers!! WAY TO GO CY WHAT A BIG BOY!!
If he is ready it will be as easy as Tasha says. All of my kids have been different ages when they were finally interested and ready. If they are not ready it will be frustrating for you and them and might delay the process even longer.
You HAVE to get the book "Potty training in a day" by Nathan Azrin. It's the best system and has made potty training a total blast in our house. (or you could call me and I'll tell you the whole system)
I don't really have advice, O was just ready...so it helped! I took the diapers completely away though, there was no option! I'm sure I did wrong things too...but 8 months now she's been potty trained...so it's the best! No diapers!!! Good luck!
He's got to be ready. The end.
Louk potty trained in 2 days... by the 3rd day he even used a toilet in the grocery store. I was so proud. He was 2 yrs. 3 months.
I THOUGHT Maile was ready. On day 4 I was ready to kill her. She just was not getting it. She would go in the potty but it didn't register.
So there. That is my advise. He has got to be ready! If you are faithful with it and he doesn't "get" it after a couple of days he is not ready!
Oh, and good luck! If you get stranded in your house and can't leave I will bring you some goodies:)
Great advice from everyone! I'm going to use it for Stella - we are getting ready to start traning too! I'm not looking forward to the training part - but i'm really excited to be done with diapers!
Post a Comment